Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our Mutual Read: A Victorian Reading Challenge

 (cross-posted at Our Mutual Read)


If any of you have been reading my personal blog this year, The Blog Jar, you'll note that I've been a bit consumed by the Victorian.  It all started with reading Bleak House at the beginning of the year and the need to read Victorian novels and short stories, peppered with Neo-Victorian tales, has carried through the year.  

This is my first go at hosting a challenge, so I welcome any tips.  I would especially welcome a tech-savvy soul to  construct some buttons for the challenge (hint, hint, wink, wink).

First off, some details:  This challenge will run from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st 2010.  And it is completely okay to double-dip, what you read/watch here can count on other challenges!

How to participate:  email me or leave a comment to this post and I'll add you to the blog so you can publish your reviews/updates on Our Mutual Read.  Also, I'll add your blog to our participant list.

Next, decide on what level you'd like to participate:
~ Level 1:  4 books, at least 2 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.
~ Level 2:  8 books, at least 4 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.
~ Level 3:  12 books, at least 6 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.

Then, determine if you are up to a mini-challenge:
Period Film Mini-Challenge -- watch at least 6 films that take place between 1837 - 1901 (they don't necessarily have to be based on a book) and post a review.

Short Story Mini-Challenge -- read 12 short stories written or taking place between 1837 - 1901 and post a review.

What do you think?  Who's on board?

5 comments:

Eva said...

I don't care that I've already joined too many reading challenges-I'm on board! :)

Traci said...

Count me in... I have no list yet, but I love the sound of this challenge!

Heather said...

Dude, I'm IN. I NEEDS to read more Wilkie. And other such awesomeness.

Lidian said...

I have been wanting to read more Victorian novels for some time (am an ex-grad student in the Victorian novel, amateur historian and pop culture vulture) - my last Victorian read was Ellen Price Wood's Danesbury House (love her books!). And Bleak House is one of my all-time favorite novels.

Don't know which level I can manage but I'd like to try for at least 4 VN's next year :)

I would write about them on my history blog, The Virtual Dime Museum (mostly bout NYC but as a Dime Museum, it is flexible!)

Cheers,
Lidian

(Found you through Blogged, BTW)

Amanda said...

I'm so glad all of you are ready to read some Victorian goodness!