Friday, February 12, 2010

Mad about Scones

I fulfilled the first half of my baking tasks on Tuesday afternoon.  Thanks to everyone who voted, because now I actually have some clear plans for baking (at least for now).  Chocolate Peanut Butter cupcakes won the cupcake division vote and I made those for a bake sale at work.


In the scone division, Orange Spice Scones took the ... erm... scone.  This is an Amanda Original.  Although I was making these scones for a Villette book discussion, I wanted to play with making sure that they were moist.  To make things for the coffee shop I need to make sure that the goods are reasonably soft and moist and not dry and chalky.  They turned out wonderfully.


Orange Spice Scones


Ingredients
1 3/4 C. of all-purpose flour
3 T of sugar
2 1/3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp orange peel
1/3 C. cold butter, sliced into chunks
1/4 C. molasses
3 T orange marmalade
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg, slightly beaten
4-6 T half'n'half

Directions:
-- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange peel in large bowl
-- Cut in butter until dry mixture resembles coarse crumbs
-- Stir in molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and egg.  Stir JUST ENOUGH TO MIX
-- Stir in half'n'half a bit at a time, just enough to pull the dough away from the bowl
-- Turn onto well-floured surface and knead 8 - 10 times.
-- Gently roll-out or pat out dough.  Use cookie cutters or a glass to cut out round bits of dough
-- Put onto cookie sheet, bake 9 minutes
-- Brush scones slightly with two parts half'n'half and one part molasses
-- Bake another 2-3 minutes
-- Remove from pan
-- Enjoy warm with tea and essays about Victorian Women's literature


Next week I'll be making the Ginger Molasses Cookies and the Maple Pumpkin Bread.  Oh yes, and I seem to recall that I was going to do a give-away.  I don't know what I'm giving away yet, but we do have a winner.  I wrote down the names of those who commented on this post and assigned a number.  Obviously I excluded myself (duh).  Then I wrote the numbers on bits of paper and Sam drew the winning number from my hand.  The winner is.... Heath!  Well, Heath, I don't know what I'm getting you, but I promise you'll like it.  Expect your prize before March 1st!

Now, I'm off to do the dishes and settle down with some cocoa and embroidery thread.  I'm enjoying the cold, snowy weather!  It doesn't snow much in Georgia and I want to relish every white, still, minute of snowy goodness.

3 comments:

Traci said...

Beautiful... just beautiful! I am again going to request that we go into business together. Baking is just so much fun.

Danielle said...

Yummy cupcakes--those are the new 'in' treats, aren't they? I could use one about now! :) And I love the embroidery you've been working on--I'd love to learn how to do that--it's very different than cross stitch and I wonder if I can embroider such straight lines!

Giggly said...

NOM NOM NOM