Monday, May 31, 2010

99 Days of Summer, a Summer of Creating Challenge



Do any of y'all recall doing this 101 things in 1001 days a while back?  I started out with good intentions and a few weeks after constructing the list I started dating Sam and lost my brain.  I never went back to the list.  The idea of having focus and goals still greatly appeals to me, so I decided to create a new challenge for myself (one I have every intention of completing).

So I declare May 31st to September 6th my Summer of Creating.  A whole 99 days to do things I love.  All kinds of creating; not only will I be making and baking, but I plan on creating new memories, more order, and a larger list of books read.

Here is how I divided things out:
  1. I picked several areas to work on: Baking and Cooking, Crafts, Embroidery, Home, Reading and Books, Sewing, Yarn, Other.  Other is a big honkin' catch-all category.
  2. Each category was written on a separate page in a lovely Liberty of London notebook.  
  3. In addition, I have a page for each day to write about how I'm working towards my goal.  
  4. Expect semi-regular updates on Ye Olde Blog.
So why am I doing this?
  1. No money and cable to help me waste my time.
  2. Hope is gone to Grandma's part of the week and I find myself listless and bored
  3. This is the last summer before Atticus gets here.  I want to make it count.
 On to the Projects!
  • Baking and Cooking:  make 5 recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking / make a sourdough starter and sourdough bread / bake 5 different yeast breads / bake 10 different quick breads and muffins / 5 new scone recipes / try 25 new dinner recipes / bake biscotti / bake 3 pies / bake 5 cakes or cupcakes / bake 10 cookies / make 7 fabulously fancy desserts / make 30 dinners for the freezer for when Atticus gets here / 1 traditional Indian meal / 1 traditional Thai meal 
  • Crafts:  organize craft lair / bunting for Hope's room / bunting for Atticus' room / potato printing / build a birdhouse / make note cards / decoupage some stuff / paper garlands / felt flowers / felt pins / make candles / try origami / make paper / funky spray paint thrift store junk / make bird feeder
  • Embroidery:  make 3 things for friends / make 3 things for family / sign for work / sign for front door . library card banner / finish doodle cloth / tea towels for kitchen / embroider a tattoo doll for Hope
  • Home:  obtain baby furniture from Craig's list / fancy-up and fix the nursery / paint 5 pieces of furniture / paint my bedroom / paint hallway / finish unpacking / some how add pizazz to kitchen cupboards / get rid of flea infestation*
  • Reading and Books:  10 library trips / 5 bookstore trips / increase my Virago, Persephone, and NYRB collection / read 4 graphic novels / read 2 essay collections / read 5 short story collections / read 4 non-fiction books / read 30 fiction books / read The Neverending Story to Hope / update my book challenge lists / listen to 3 audio books 
  • Sewing:  sew an apron / learn to quilt / curtains for the living room / curtains for the kitchen / curtains for nursery / curtains for Hope's room / recover rocker / curtains for my room / curtains for french doors / baby booties / throw pillows / pin cushion / place mats and napkins / duvet cover / doll or stuffed animal / doll bedding / American Girl Doll clothes / tea cozy / quilt for Hope / quilt for Atticus 
  • Yarn:  blanket for Atticus / blanket for couch / learn to make amigurumi / 3 hats / 3 scarves / baby bib / baby sweater / booties / American Girl Doll scarves and hats
  • Other:  file adoption papers by the end of June / pay off remaining credit card debt / pay off one medical bill / increase savings by $1,000 / spruce up blog / 75 blog posts / 12 farmer's market trips / watch 25 movies / 5 thrifting expeditions / strawberry picking / take Hope on 5 day trips / 7 "real" dates with Sam / organize and update photo albums / write 12 letters / 50 journal entries / 7 dinners or craftapaloozas with friends / start an herb garden / try canning / Beau to the vet / 5 pool trips / go to a concert / transfer and update renter's insurance / order new checks / visit grandparents 
Whew!  I want to all know that as I was typing this out I added in a ton more things.  If anyone would like to join in the fun let me know.  For now, I'm shutting down the computer and I'm going to go create something.

* yes, a flea infestation.  A week into living at our new home and we are ridden with fleas.  I'm hiding out at my mom's house until the exterminator can come out on Tuesday. 

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm not going to hoin the challange because I know it will meet with epic failure! A 5 year old, 2 year old and almost 6 month old have a knack for derailing many things when you least expect it :) I'm looking forward to following your progress and I am going to get 2 mini-baby blankets done(covering my butt for when I have to wash Harmony's(2 yo) blankets she loves so much) and finish at least the 3 wash cloths I have sitting on knitting needles. Not very ambitious, but necessary.

Breanne at Bella Vita said...

This is an awesome list!! I have a 101 in 1001 project going right now, and I'm doing alright with it. But I should probably make some adjustments because I made the list when I was at my old job, before I had my baby. I'll be excited to see how you do on this lsit!

mamathereader said...

Mine is not as admirable as yours, but I started one. :) Let's hope public accountability makes me finish.