Saturday, January 3, 2009

Top Ten Reads of 2008

I always have difficulty in determining what constitutes a favorite read. Obviously, I consider how much I liked the book and if I would reread it again, but I like books for many different reasons. Perhaps one book had a compelling plot and another had a favorite character and yet another book caused me to think more. There is also mood to contend with, maybe I didn’t like a book so much, but it isn’t the books fault. I could have been occupied or sleepy or it simply was the Wrong Time for that particular book.

After much deliberation, I bring you my top ten reads of 2008. I am not including books that were rereads (or else Harry Potter would be continually listed) and I’m factoring in how much I was consumed by the book. See, I normally set my reading time at 50 pages at a time (give or take a little for chapter breaks), because if I don’t several things happen: 1) I emerge from a reading binge with my eyes bloodshot and crossed and / or 2) I emerge from a reading binge with the kid hungry, the house a mess, no clean laundry, and bills unpaid. Usually, to combat blurred vision and domestic chaos, I read for 50 pages or so and then fold some clothes, or cook a meal, or say hi to the kid/cat; in general, I can maintain a sort of balance between my bookish self and the self that reality demands.

Enough with the babble; on with the books (listed in random order):

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir – a fast-paced and insightful novel about Lady Jane Grey

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters – a thriller set in the Victorian-era and filled with switched identities, lust, greed, and violence.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke – Victorian magicians and all manner of odd magical happenings; the “footnotes” were my favorite part.

Affinity by Sarah Waters РVictorian mental asylums and s̩ances makes for unbridled creepiness.

Armadale by Wilkie Collins – A female antagonists who is fond of murder and deception plagues several men (men who I think were idiots and most likely deserved what they got).

Birds Fall Down by Rebecca West – a spy thriller featuring a bright young woman, a Russian family, assassinations and double agents.

The Black Tower by Louis Baynard – despite some plot issues, this book was fast-paced and concerned some aftermath of the French Revolution.

Geek Love by Katharine Dunn – I was surprised by how much I loved this book; the narrator is an albino dwarf and tells of her dysfunctional (and manufactured) family.

A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes – Bratty children and pirates make for an exciting story.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman – I read this YA book in one sitting; the black button eyes on the fake parents were by frightening.

There we go. I hope everyone is off to a tremendous reading year!

What I'm doing: at the Perk drinking a coffee and chair dancing to Joy Division; Hope looks mortified.
I'm about to: read The Sister and let Hope listen to Social Distortion.
Later today: clean up the house, do some laundry, help Hope do some knitting.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I loved Armadale, too, as well as Fingersmith! I'm now working on Affinity and really enjoying it and I have Birds Fall Down, which I keep hearing good things about, so I guess I need to pull that one out, too! You have great choices! Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

Fingersmith was in my top ten for the year too! I think I'll have to add Birds Fall Down to my wish list, as it sounds great!

Eva said...

The footnotes were my favourite part of Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell too! :) Most of these books are ones I haven't read, but you make them all sound great.

Katie said...

You are the second person this week I've heard raving about Geek Love. I need to get on it!

Happy New Year, Amanda.

Rebecca H. said...

All kinds of good books here, including ones I've loved and ones I hope to read. Sounds like a great reading year!

Andi said...

Excellent list!

Lisa Guidarini said...

I've read four of your top reads, and loved all of them. You and I have similar reading tastes, AND both work in a library (SEE: sisters, separated at birth)

http://bluestalking.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

i thought i had forgotten to comment i meant to because i wanted to say thanks for all the new book suggestions... im book marking this post all special like. :)