Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Challenge!

It is time for Carl's wonderful "Once Upon a Time Challenge." I've decided to do Quest the First which involves reading five books totally that are either fantasy, fairy tale, folklore, or mythology. Of course, I never seem to be able to narrow down my choices during these challenges, so instead of a set list I've made a reading pool to pull books from:


  • The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  • Coraline by Neil Gaiman
  • Some Lloyd Alexander
  • Finish any of the comic book series I am currently reading (Sandman, Lucifer, and/or Fables).
  • The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
  • The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (reread)
  • Harry Potter series (reread)
  • Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
  • Helmut of Horror by Victor Pelevin
  • His Dark Materials trilogy (reread)
  • Nocturnes by John Connolly
  • Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Pretty hefty list, right? I think the challenge will be to narrow these down to five reads!

6 comments:

Andi said...

Coraline is great! And I would love to read Jonathan Strange, but the pure size of the thing terrifies me. I'm a book wuss.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Pretty frickin' cool list is what it is! I saw The Worm Ouroboros on the store shelf not long ago and it looked so intriguing. I'll be very interested to see that review. Helmut of Horror is the only one I haven't heard of but I am really curious about it from the title. I'm so glad you're joining in this year.

April said...

I started reading "Till We Have Faces" a couple years ago but was so bogged down with classes I couldn't finish it. Have been meaning to read it for some time, I enjoyed what little I read.

Ana S. said...

What a fantastic list of books! I loved Coraline, Jonathan Strange, His Dark Materials and Lud-in-the-Mist. And I love The Sandman and what I've read of Fables too. I've been meaning to read Lucifer for some time, as well as something by George MacDonald. Happy reading!

Amanda Roper said...

Andi -- you tackled grad school. Book wuss you are not!

Carl -- you are the king of book challenges

April -- I had a friend who read "Till We Have Faces" for her thesis and loved it.

Nymeth -- happy reading to you as well!

inner curmudgeon said...

A good list. If it's not to late to comment, Lud-in-the-Mist and The Worm Ouroboros are absolute must reads. The latter can be very heavy going, but well worth the effort.