Sunday, March 16, 2008

Musical Musings

I get obsessed with certain songs. Sometimes it isn’t just an obsession with one song in particular; it may be a group of three or four songs from different artists or an entire album from one artist. I can seriously spend an entire afternoon stretched out on a bed and listening to what-ever-obsession-it-may-be over, and over again.

Anyhoo, so let’s say there is this song playing and I like it and it finds itself stuck in my brain. I will randomly sing bits of it at odd times like when in public bathrooms, or when I’m shelving books at the library, or when I’m trying to sleep at night and can’t. It sort of loops through and then I tend to make remixes of said songs all smooshed together with the few words I pick up.

My friends find this annoying.

And embarrassing.

And weird.

But I can understand that it might be odd to be sitting in a very quiet Thai restaurant and your crazy friend keeps singing one line of a Xiu Xiu song over and over again…. “Boy Soprano!…. Dum dum dum dee… Boy Soprano!... dum dum dum dee.”

I guess I can understand.

So here are seven songs that I’ve been craving lately and they all happen to be on the MySpace so you can take a listen.

See if they get stuck in your brain… or heart… or whatever vital organ you choose:

. No Lucifer by British Sea Power
· The Charming One by Coal Beautiere
· Pumpkin Seeds by Devendra Banhart
· I Love the Valley Oh by Xiu Xiu
· Terrible Angels by Cocorosie
· The Devil by PJ Harvey
· The Mistress Witch from McClur by Sufjan Stevens
Who knows what it could be next week? I could get a hankering for Atari Teenage Riot and Vivaldi...

No comments: