Wednesday, July 29, 2009

On Suffering My Desert Pillow*

Last night was another night of wrestling with insomnia. Since I worked the evening shift at the library, I knew that sleep would be elusive. I crawled in bed around 11:30 and Sam gave me a back rub to lull me to sleep. I began to relax and then -- Sam fell asleep and I promptly awoke. I rolled over, turned on my bedside lamp, and picked up The Subtle Knife -- my favorite of the His Dark Materials Trilogy. Around 2:30 a.m. I realized that the story was too exciting and imaginative to be sleep inducing.

Closing the book, I crept downstairs and in a last ditch effort for sleep made warm milk. While my concoction of milk, honey, vanilla, and nutmeg warmed, I sat at the table in the golden light of a lamp and appreciated the quiet. If it wasn't for the fact that I had to be up at 6 a.m. for work, I would have sat quietly until dawn listening to the whir of crickets and yesterday's rain dripping off branches. I drank my milk and was off to bed.

In case you should find yourself sleepless -- the best way to drink warm milk is in bed, half-buried under a quilt, with a cat on your pillow, and the milk in your favorite owl mug. Sip slowly and then slumber.

*Thank you, Sylvia Plath

4 comments:

Giggly said...

I have never had warm milk in my life....probably because I don't drink milk? LOL But the way you describe having it sounds nice and cozy.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm not much of a milk drinker, so I think I'd have to be pretty desperate to drink it warm! I can see that a suspense book is probably not the best thing to induce sleep. Perhaps the phone book?

christina said...

Oooh, what is your recipe for your milk concoction?

Amanda Roper said...

Giggly and Carl -- I adore milk. But only 2%. Whole milk is bleh.

Christina: take a double boiler (or if you don't have one put a second saucepan in a pan of boiling water). Then dump in a cup of milk, a splash of vanilla, and a tbsp of honey. Warm the concotion until it is hot (not boiling). Pour in mug and sprinkle with nutmeg. Enjoy!