Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Reader's Anxiety Strikes Again!

The Sunday Salon.com

Hi,  bookish folk!  I wasn't around last week because I was enjoying my honeymoon, but I'm back now and ready to catch up!

Although my wedding was low-key, simple, and went off with nary a problem I spent most of last week with post-wedding nerves.  Basically, I put off my life the week before the wedding and when I came back everything was piled up.  I have had a major case of READER'S ANXIETY.  I purchased some books on the honeymoon -- more on that later -- my library books were due, and I neglected reading past page 52 of The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton until today.  Of course, I'm reading these wonderful, creepy tales for The Classics Circuit and my post is due tomorrow.  Needless to say, I've spent a wonderful, rainy afternoon drinking coffee and reading deeply.  Expect that post to be up by 8 a.m. tomorrow!


I may be overwhelmed, but that hasn't kept me from signing up for yet another challenge,  The French Historical Challenge, of course I mostly signed up because I already have several books lined up that fit into this category.  In addition, I picked up some Virago Modern Classics at a used bookstore on the honeymoon.  I have a goal to read at least one Virago Modern Classic a month (not a challenge, more of a loose goal).  The titles I snatched up are Chatterton Square by E.H. Young, Diana of the Crossways by George Meredith, and Frost in May by Antonia White.  In addition I snagged a copy of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith at Borders.

I've mounds of reading to catch up on.  This week I finished The Hobbit and I read A Study in Scarlet.  To tell the truth, I didn't enjoy the books as much as I usually would because I've been slammed at work, exhausted, and, at the same time, trying to rectify the tissue-paper-suitcase-strewn house.

I feel like I'm back in full force now, a clean house and rainy day gives me a sense of peace and allows me to plunge head on into a book.  My goals for this week include finishing the Wharton tales, reading my first Virago of the year -- Frost in May -- and diving into Villette.  Oh yeah, I started a mini-site -- Addled by Books -- to track my reading in a list format.  My thoughts -- not big thoughts, but thoughts nonetheless -- will still be here at The Blog Jar. 

2 comments:

Andi said...

I'm right there with you when it comes to a cluttered house. A cluttered house = a cluttered Andi who gets NO READING DONE. Enjoy your book lineup. I am bound and determined to read I Capture the Castle in the near future. It's been on my shelves forever.

Lindsey Sparks said...

I love love love I Capture the Castle. I picked it up randomly a long time ago because I liked the title and it's wonderful. I like the movie as well, and felt like it followed the book pretty well. Congratulations on the wedding!