Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Sunday Salon and a Library Loot

The Sunday Salon.com


Time spent reading:  approx. 2 hours
What I read:  Royal Escape pages 297 -349
                      Three Tales pages 1-47
Total pages read:  99

Overview:  I'm less than 100 pages away from the end of Georgette Heyer's Royal Escape for my Classics Circuit read.  I'm enjoying the story and I certainly need to investigate Charles Stewart a bit more, but I find myself a bit frustrated at a tiny bit of the novel.  Every other paragraph someone is yelling out "Oddsblood" or "Oddsfool".  I cringe every time I see it on the page.  I know that Charles Stewart is dirty and tired and on the run and danger is around every corner, but I don't need the same exclamation to suffice for horror/surprise/joy/epiphany etc....  I've also started reading Gustave Flaubert's Three Tales for a LibraryThing review.  I've finished the first tale -- "A Simple Heart" -- and am midway through the second tale, "The Legend of Saint Julian the Hospitaller."  Tomorrow, I plan on finishing both books and getting the reviews written.  The Heyer piece will be up on the 18th, but I should have the Flaubert bit done by the close of this week. 

Reading Goals for next week:  In addition to finishing Royal Escape and Three Tales, I'd like to start a new short story collection I picked up at the library yesterday:  American Gothic Tales, edited by Joyce Carol Oates.  I'd also like to read at least one essay from The Madwoman in the Attic and begin Wuthering Heights and/or To the Lighthouse.

Now, onto the Library Loot:

Besides the American Gothic Tales book, I grabbed Margaret Drabble's personal history with jigsaw puzzle, The Pattern in the Carpet.  I've nearly picked it up before and I don't know why I didn't check it out sooner.  I started reading the first chapter while standing in the library and it looks really good.  An interesting topic in the hands of a darn good writer!  My last book for this week was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I've heard mixed reviews of this one, but I thought Geek Love was fantastic and I'm eager for another circus/carnival tale.

I limited myself to three library books this week as Hope had a HUGE pile of mostly dog books.  She is reading about different dog breeds and obsessively watches Animal Planet.  Anyway, she informed me she needs that many books for her "research."

Alright, its late and I'm off to bed, tomorrow I'll have to read the other Sunday Salon posts!

3 comments:

Eva said...

Awww-when I was Hope's age, I was obsessed with dog breeds too. :D To this day, whenever I see a dog, I instantly know the breed. And I nerd out if it's a rare one, like the Bouvier des Flandres I saw in a coffeeshop last year! lol

That American Gothic Tales book sounds fascinating. Except, I still haven't gotten over the trauma of Oates' novel Blonde. So I'm nervous about the types of stories she'd choose!

Andi said...

Looks like some good reading. I have yet to read Heyer although it seems everyone who reads her stuff in the blogosphere really likes her writing.

Awesome that Hope is doing dog "research!" Too cute.

Grad said...

I really loved Water For Elephants, but I'm interested to see what you think of it.