Saturday, October 9, 2010

Readathon: Hour 7

Here's a brief rundown of the past 3 hours:  I zipped over to Atlanta Bread Company for lunch.  I had some baked potato soup, a chicken salad sandwich, and water.  While I ate I read a short story by Sheridan Le Fanu entitled "Mr. Justice Harbottle."  It was wonderfully creepy.  I have to say I originally pulled out Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, but then I decided that wouldn't be the best lunchtime reading fare.

After I read the Le Fanu story I plunged back in to The Sunne in Splendour; reading this novel is slow, but in a satisfying way.  I think I can typically read about 80+ pages an hour, but I'm finding my average is about 50 pages an hour with this novel.  But SOOOOO much is happening.  In the past 100 pages Anne Neville has been abused by her brother-in-law George, Duke of Clarence, fled to an inn with her maid, pretended to be a maid, reunited with Richard, married after much political maneuverings, had a baby, had two miscarriages, reunited with her mother, and Richard has quarrelled with his brothers, protested the alliance with France, and resisted the temptations of his former mistress.  In addition I'm learning all about battle plans, managing households, rank and class, and childbirth during the time period.  It is a very satisfying read and the hour it takes me to read those 50 pages seems to fly by.

Stats Update:

  • Title of book(s) read since last update:The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman and In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu

  • Number of books read since you started: currently working on two

  • Pages read since last update: 86

  • Running total of pages read since you started: 139

  • Amount of time spent reading since last update: 2 hours

  • Running total of time spent reading since you started: 3.5 hours

  • Mini-challenges completed: planning on doing some more this evening

  • Other participants you’ve visited: I'm about to pop in and say hello to some folks!

  • Prize you’ve won: zip


My plans for the next few hours involve visiting some readathon blogs, organizing my bookshelves while listening to an audio book, and cheerleading from 4 - 5.

6 comments:

Jan@eatingyabooks said...

extra! extra! read all about it you got the power and I am going to shout it 1 2 3 4 come on reader read some more goooooo reader yeah whoo hoo!

You are doing great keep it up!

softdrink said...

Readathon tip #418:
Drink lots of water! Yes, it has side effects, but that just helps with…

Readathon tip #27:
Go for walks.

Willa said...

Happy readathon - hope the sandwich was as delicious as it looks :-)

Thomas at My Porch said...

That sandwich looks delicious. I told John he had to be my errand boy today, so he brought home lunch fixins.

thereadingdate said...

You're doing great! The Sunne in Spendour sounds really good - enjoy! Happy reading :)

kai charles said...

thanks for visiting my blog, I just picked up a dover thrift book with Le fanu stories in them :)