Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Reading in Review

Jamie at the Perpetual Page-Turner but together this fabulous survey for the 2010 reading year. 48 books and 17,398 pages.... It was a pretty good reading year.

Best Books of 2010:

Let's pick the top 5.  These books are in random order and do not include books that I reread this year (so that's why books like Villette aren't listed):

  1. Frost in May by Antonia White

  2. The Priory by Dorothy Whipple

  3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

  4. The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham

  5. The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman


Worst Book of 2010:

Hands down, Crime and Punishment.  I couldn't even bring myself to finish the book.  It sucked and I had NO SYMPATHY for the protagonist.

Most Disappointing Book of 2010:

Elizabeth Kostova's The Swan Thieves.  It lack the richness of The Historian and I didn't care for any of the characters.

Most Surprising Book (in a good way!) of 2010:

Black Plumes by Margery Allingham.  I've never read Allingham before and this vintage mystery was devoured in the span of a summer afternoon.  I must read more of her books this year!

Book You Recommended the Most to People in 2010:

Frost in May by Antonia White.  I lent this book to a friend at work and purchased a copy for a Christmas gift for another friend.  I loved this book!

Best Series You Discovered in 2010:

I wouldn't say I "discovered" a series, but I read one standalone book by Sharon Kay Penman (The Sunne in Splendour) and now I want to read all of her other books which just so happens to comprise several historical novel series.

Favorite New Authors Discovered in 2010:

Antonia White, Kate Morton, Susan Higginbotham, Sharon Kay Penman, Ivy Compton-Burnett, Elizabeth Gaskell, Margery Allingham, Dorothy Whipple and Rosamund Lehmann

Most Hilarious Read of 2010:

The Sweet Dove Died by Barbara Pym.   It was hilarious in a subtle, snarky way.

Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Book of 2010:

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.  Loved it!

Book You Most Anticipated in 2010:

The Priory by Dorothy Whipple.  I had to snag this one via interlibrary loan.

Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2010:



Most Memorable Character of 2010:

Mrs. Ramsey from To the Lighthouse and Lucy Snowe from Villette

Most Beautifully Written Book in 2010:

The Waves by Virginia Woolf

Book That Had the Greatest Impact on You in 2010:

The Sunne in Splendour. It consumed me for well over a month.  I couldn't get enough.

Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2010 to Read:

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.  I can't believe I waited until 2010 to read Elizabeth Gaskell.  She is a phenomenal Victorian author and I will certainly be reading more of her in 2011.

How about you?  How does your 2010 reading stack up?

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I loved The House at Riverton! It was one of my favorite books of 2009. Same with The Forgotten Garden. I now have The Distant Hours sitting on my TBR stack.

Andi said...

GREAT survey! I see lots of new-to-me authors I'd like to try. Lately I find myself reading almost exclusively on my Nook, so let's hope I can get hold of some Gaskell that way. :)