Atticus will still be going to daycare for the week (although I'll be picking him up early). First off we paid for it and secondly I'm going to spend some time with Hope. We have summer clothes shopping to do and a few awkward and necessary discussions to have as she approaches middle school. She is also having her future aunt spend the night (Hope is BFF with my brother's fiancée's younger sister) and that means hanging out with two very giggly little girls. We've also decided to spend sometime having our own little readathon as part of our vacation.
My goal is to read 24 hours over the course of my vacation. This means spending roughly 4-5 hours a day in readerly pursuits. Of course, this has presented the perfect opportunity to grab a little notebook out of my stash for tracking this here readathon. I'll be noting the time I start and end, my location, what I'm reading, and how much reading I've completed. No promises, but I'll try to update my reading progress at least once a day.
This little challenge will help me in several ways:
- I hope to whittle down my towering TBR pile and finish several library books
- I hope to become more aware and appreciative of the time I have to read. I do a lot of reading while nursing, waiting in line, cooking (much to the detriment of my cooking), and yes, even in the bathroom (mom's will understand that sometimes the bathroom excuse is the only way to be left alone). I'm always lamenting that I don't get CHUNKS of reading time, if I was more aware that all of those little bits do add up, then I might feel a bit better about my reading.
- I'll have an excuse to read!
I've assembled a little book pile to get me going:
- The Collected Sonnets of Edna St. Vincent Millay
- The Queen's Man by Sharon Kay Penman
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
- Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution by Sara Marcus
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
- Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford
Wish me luck! Anyone else planning Memorial Day Weekend readathons?