Monday, September 5, 2011

D is for Darkshadows

Today is a short-post kinda of a day.  It is so AUTUMN out today.  I've been to JoAnne's so I have new yarn and needles to play with and a stack of books and it is grey and rainy and cool.  In other words, I'm not feeling all bloggy today. In fact it is the perfect day to watch an episode or two of...



Let me start by saying that I'm not a "die hard" fan.  I love the show, but I'm certainly no expert.  What I must like about this vintage, dramatic, Gothic, campy soap is.... watching it with Hope.



Yup... my eleven-year-old daughter ADORES Dark Shadows.  We started at the beginning and we're working our way through all the episodes (thanks, Netflix).  We haven't even gotten to Barnabas yet.  Hope likes the creepiness and the melodramatic glances and -- dear god -- the lines.  It is also especially hilarious to watch her crack up over Caroline Stoddard's dancing one minute and then curl up next to me on the couch the next minute in fear.

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming movie, but I must say I don't picture Johnny Depp as Barnabas.

Alright.  That's it for today.  Dark Shadows... love 'em.

3 comments:

Grad said...

I see you're reading In This House of Brede. I read it first in college. A part of our college library was dedicated to Rumer Godden and she came for the ceremony. I remember walking up to meet her and shaking her hand, although I don't remember much about her. I read it again last year and loved it all over again. My son's dog recently ate my copy. Thank goodness it was a paperback. I never got into Dark Shadows, but a gray rainy day sounds like a fun time to watch it again.

nerdybookgirl said...

That is so fabulous! This is my first Godden novel, but I know I will read many more. How wonderful to meet an author (especially a wonderful author).

Bellezza said...

I used to race home from school in second grade to watch Dark Shadows at our neighbor's house; my mother wouldn't allow me. It really scared me, at the tender age of seven, and I still am easily frightened. Case in point: Stephen King novels I begin but can rarely finish. I love that you and your daughter are watching these reruns. As to Johnny Depp, I'm pretty sure he can play any one. Except maybe Marilyn Monroe. ;)