Monday, November 22, 2010

Movie Monday

Since reading is going quite slowly and all those holiday baking plans have yet to come to fruition, I figured I'd write about what I have been doing (in addition to all the baby-caring stuff) -- watching movies.  Gobs and gobs of movies.  Here are the movies I've watched since Atticus was born.

The Wolfman: I heard mixed reviews about this film starring Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, and Benicio Del Toro, but I really enjoyed it!  The movie concerns a man who is bitten by a werewolf after he returns home to investigate his brothers grisly death.  What ensues is a tale of family secrets, murder, love, madness, and revenge.  The film is very atmospheric.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Dr. Parnassus once wagered a bet with the devil, but at a terrible price.  This film tells the story of Dr. Parnassus and his traveling show, his daughter, a mysterious stranger, and the devil.  This film is not what I expected, I expected it to be more in the imaginary world, but rather it was more about the characters in the real world who dip in and out of the imaginary land of Dr. Parnassus.  Although a bit hard to follow in places, this film gets bonus points for sheer beauty and for Tom Waits as The Devil!

Cranford: Based on the stories by Elizabeth Gaskell, this BBC series follows the lives of the matriarchal village of Cranford.  I loved this series and must read the book soon!  At times the scenes are uproarious (for example, when the cat swallows some lace and the women attempt retrieval) and at other times the tales are quite touching.  At once humorous and with vibrant characters, Cranford also discusses such important issues as class, progress, women's rights, and religion.

Dorian Gray: When I saw this period drama based on the Oscar Wilde book stared Colin Firth I was positive it would be fantastic.  This film was so abysmally bad.  A decadent, slow-motion, sex scene fest where one is repeatedly hit over the head with preachings about the Victorians.  For example, in one scene, Dorian is having tea with a slew of fussy, uptight ladies.  Interspersed -- in slow motion -- between slurping tea and smearing jam the scenes cut to strange bondage scenes.  WE GET IT.  VICTORIANS WERE THOUGHT TO BE UPTIGHT BUT STILL SUCCUMB TO HUMAN DEPRAVITY.  Geez.  While the book is more about class and privilege, this film is all sex and undermines the more important aspects of the novel.

The Young Victoria: I really enjoyed this movie about the early years of Queen Victoria's reign.  While it was beautiful and moving, I felt that it was far too short.  This would have been better as a two-part BBC release.  There should have been more background on the current political climate of England at the time.  I suppose I would say that the film felt.... rushed.  I did enjoy it, though, I simply wanted "more."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1: OMG OMG OMG!  I LOVED this film and I would have to say that it is the best Potter film to date.  I will say I was very disappointed in one scene (SPOILER ALERT), I have no idea why Harry and Hermione are naked and making out in one scene.  I know that Ron is being swayed by the Horcrux, but it was completely unnecessary to take it that far.

I'm planning for Sam and I to hit the movies in the few week so he can see Harry Potter (I'm determined to convert him to Potter fandom) and I have a pile of DVDs for this week.  What have you been watching?

(p.s. for some reason this is striking me as the most insipid post I've written, but it is the best I can do for the moment.  You all will have to think I'm a ninny.)

2 comments:

catherine said...

i loooovvvved (!!!!!!) young victoria. seriously. and i am completely with you, i wanted another hour at least from that movie. it felt like so much was left out, even though the movie was lovely. i forgot how much i love emily blunt.

Sojourness said...

I totally agree about the nudity in HP - very offputting!