Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Reading Wrap-Up

I had the oddest surprise today.  I was nearly positive that this reading year has been far better than last year.  According to the stats, I read more in 2010!  In 2010 I read 48 books and 17,398 pages.  This year I read 43 books and 14,907 pages.  I feel like my reading experience was much richer this year.  I read good books in 2010, but I also got married, moved to a new home, and had a baby all in the space of a year; I was reading, but I was also quite distracted.

In last year's tradition, I'm going to post my end-of-the-year reading wrap-up post.  I used the format from last year, but I also stole borrowed some questions/stats from A Work in Progress because I <3 her blog. 

Best Books (in random order):
Saplings by Noel Streatfeild
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
Savage Beauty:  The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford
Elizabeth I: A Novel by Margaret George
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Worst Book:
A tie between Fables #13: The Great Fables Crossover by The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory

Most Disappointing:
Alice I have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Most Surprising (in a good way):
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Book I recommended the most:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and Excellent Women by Barbara Pym

Best Series:
The Sally Lockhart series by Philip Pullman

Favorite New Authors:
Richmal Crompton, Noel Streatfeild, Nancy Milford, Margaret George, Rumer Godden, Hilary Mantel, and Brian Selznick

Most Hilarious Read:
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym

Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Read:
Room by Emma Donoghue

Book I most anticipated reading in 2011:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Favorite Cover:





















Most Memorable Character:
Lady Audley from Lady Audley's Secret

Most Beautifully Written:
Saplings by Noel Streatfeild

Greatest Impact:
Savage Beauty by Nancy Milford (It made me remember how much I enjoy non-fiction!)

Book I can't believe I waited so long to read:
A toss-up between In this House of Brede by Rumer Godden, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, and Excellent Women by Barbara Pym

Best Comfort:
Excellent Women by Barbara Pym

Bleakest:
Saplings by Noel Streatfeild

Book that took me forever to read (in a good way):
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Book where I had no clue what was going on:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (it took me a bit to get into the POV)

Most Obnoxious Character:
The "other woman" in Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple and Amy Dorrit's father in Little Dorrit



2011 Stats:

Pages Read: 14,907
Number of Books: 43
Challenges completed:  1 (what the fuck?)
Fiction:  30
Non-Fiction: 5
Graphic Novels: 6
Short Story Collections: 2
Books by men: 13
Books by women: 29
Books by both: 1
Plays: 0
Poetry Collections: 0
Virago: 1
Persephone: 4
NYRB: 0
Library books: 32
Books from my stacks: 11
Multiple books by same author: 4 -- Joe Hill, Bill Willingham, Susan Hill, and Brian Selznick

Okay folks -- onto 2012!  Read or Die, people, Read or Die!





6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hugo Cabret was fantastic. I can't remember if I read that last year or the year before, but it's one I definitely loved.

Andi said...

Ahh yes! Good stuff here, Amanda. I see some books I'd like to read in the coming year. And some of them are already on my stacks! Yay!

Amanda Roper said...

@Amanda I actually got Hope to read that book. The drawings paired with writing worked really well for her. She likes to read, but she has ADHD and finishing books is sometimes a challenge. I wanted to see the movie, but it left our hick town before we got the chance.

@Andi yes indeed, you are my reading twin!

Sarah said...

I have "Room" on the way to me from Paperbackswap, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to try it.

Happy New Year!!

Eva said...

I went to add the Streatfield, Pym, and Godden to my LT wish list, and they were all already there! lol

aloi said...

Oh this is GREAT! I like how you did your round up, so much fun! Hugo Cabret was one of my faves too!