Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Charles Dickens Month -- The Rare Book Edition

A thousand -- as Uriah Heep would say -- humble apologies; I know I'm woefully late with this week's Charles Dickens post and I could have titled it "The Better Late Than Never Post." 

I'd like to share a bit of the Charles Dickens display I put together at my library with the help of our special collections curator/librarian and some ever-trusty work-study students. This week I'll highlight two treasures from our Rare Book Gallery and next week I'll work in a few pictures of the general display. 

Gasp!  What's that!  The conclusion to The Mystery of Edwin Drood!  Can it be???  Did Dickens leave another manuscript?????

Alas, this is not Charles Dickens's work.  Once attributed to Wilkie Collins, this hoax novel was written by Henry Morford.

According to the special collection curator, this book, and the companion Edwin Drood, had a Sotheby slip in stating that the set was "exceedingly rare." 

OMG.  Look at the fancy edging!

Another fascinating find!  The library I work at has the entire serialized set of Our Mutual Friend


The serialized novel is resplendent with Victorian advertising. 

I was squealing -- quietly -- when I was able to help select and arrange these precious items.  I can't wait to explore our Rare Book Collection much more thoroughly in the future. 




11 comments:

wutheringwillow said...

As you say, Better Late Than Never. Thanks for posting!

Here's my Dickens post of the week,

http://apaperbacklife.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/january-charles-dickens-month-dud-from-dickens/

neer said...

Having just finished Edwin Drood, I so much want John Jasper's secret.

TBM said...

Fun stuff! I'm jealous.

Here's my Dickens post:

http://50yearproject.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/asimov-and-dickens/

TronG said...

Book.Gasm

Lindsey Sparks said...

It's so fun that you get to do that for work! Here's my post for the week, on my first impressions of The Old Curiousity Shop: http://lindseysparks.blogspot.com/2012/01/old-curiousity-shop-first-impressions.html.

Becky said...

My dicken's post of the week

Ruthiella said...

Wow. I loved the look at the orignal serialization copies. I used to have the idea that Dickens' novels were serialized in newspapers, like a syndicated column. Nope!

Susan in TX said...

This is really neat. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Rebecca Reid said...

Wow! This is so cool. Very impressed with the serial Our Mutual Friend!

My post of the week is on a biography of Dickens. I liked it, but it reminded me that I should just read the novels! Dickens was a jerk to his wife!

http://reviews.rebeccareid.com/charles-dickens-a-life-by-jane-smiley-brief-thoughts/

Jerika said...

I love looking at old books! :)

Here is my better late than never post as well:

http://averydisorientedreader.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/charles-dickens-month-post-4/

Mandy @Adventures in Borkdom said...

This is a little late...and a little long. But, anyone interested in Dickens' philanthropic efforts might be interested!

"Spasmodic Benevolence": Dickens and Philanthropy