Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Reading Meme

Reading Habits?

Found this over at I Read That OnceI cannot help it; my list-love and booknerdom love these memes!

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Sometimes I snack.  Usually popcorn or a fiber one bar.  I attempt reading on my lunch break and sometimes it works. 

What is your favourite drink while reading?
COFFEE!!! A runner up is a pot of hot tea and I usually always have water with me.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I write notes or underline in the books I own.  Sometimes I become so involved in the story that I forget to mark the interesting parts and then I kick myself when it comes time to discuss the book.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
All of the above.  With library books I do well with bookmarks.  I admit, I do dog-ear and lay the book flat with the books I own. 

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
I read about 70% fiction, but I do love non-fiction.  I'm just particular about researching my non-fiction choices first. 

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I prefer to read to the end of a chapter or at least a natural page break.  I also try to read about 50 pages at a go.  Laundry and cooking must be done at some point and the end of the chapter isn't usually enough reading to warrant plunging head first back into reality, but I need to make myself stop at some point. 

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
I haven't done that since The Birthday Letters reading in 2004.  HA!

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
I usually try to use context clues if I don't want to pause my story.  Having a smart phone, though, makes looking up words quit quick.

What are you currently reading?
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Collected Stories of Elizabeth Bowen

What is the last book you bought?
I spent $37 at a used book store and bought about 20 books.  I won't list them here, but they are all in this post

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I usually have one book, but sometimes I juggle two.  Especially if one is a short story collection, non-fiction, poetry, a play, or a thick classic.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
I like to read alone in a coffee shop.  With a comfy chair.  By a window.  With folks ignoring me.  Perfect reading!

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
It depends.  I tend to have had less disappointments with stand alone novels.  As long as it is high quality throughout then I prefer a series.  I hate reading a great first book and then discovering the others suck

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Elizabeth Bowen.  As far as under appreciated authors go. Sharon Kay Penman and Hilary Mantel for historical fare.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
Ah, yes!  Another post.  Way to OCD to explain in this meme!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was delightful.  Happy Reading, y'all!

No comments: