Monday, September 17, 2012

A Season of Super Soup: Crockpot Split Pea Soup (week 3)

I love split pea soup.  My mom used to make it all creamy when I was a kid and my dad would make disgusted faces at the green sea of soup (my dad has the palate of a toddler).  I haven't had split pea soup in eons, but I decided to make it in the crock pot this weekend.  I didn't go with a traditional -- well, I guess it is traditional -- creamy green soup with bits of ham.  Instead I tried to find something more nutritionally dense -- you know, with that whole pregnancy thing I've got going on -- in order to have something filling and healthy for my work lunches.

Bingo.


Split Pea Soup 
(modified from Fix-it and Forget-it)

Ingredients 

2 carrots
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup cubed ham
3 cups water
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 onion
1 tomato
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 3/4 cups (1 pound) dried split peas, washed, with stones removed
2 ribs celery
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 parsnip
1 leek (keep 3 inches of green)

Dicrections
  1. Cut all vegetables into 1/4-inch pieces and place in slow cooker.
  2. Dump in the liquids and spices.
  3. Cover. Cook on high for 7 hours.
This recipe alleges that it serves six. Maybe six mixing bowl size servings.  However I would guess this to make 15 cups of soup.  Hagrid would have enough for a meal plus some leftovers. Aromatic, filling, and absolutely delicious!

Week 2 -- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Week 1 -- Chicken Stock

No comments: