Sunday, September 28, 2008

When in doubt, bake...

After Friday's stressful car wreck and the past week with aching ears, I was happy when the weekend arrived. I've tried not to worry too much about the estimate on Matilda's damages and I keep telling myself that everything will be fine.

Friday night I hung out with Inky Darcy, which always cheers me and I went to work on Saturday (on my own accord) to catch-up on missed work. Saturday night while Hope watched The Return of the Jedi I started baking.

Whenever I'm stressed, am feeling my poverty, or just all over depressed I start baking. Saturday night I wanted chocolate and peanut butter so I made-up a recipe:

Better-Than-Zoloft Cookies
Ingredients:
2.25 C all purpose flour
1t. salt
1t. baking soda
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C peanut butter
1/2 C milk
1t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat oven to 375. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. Combine brwon sugar, granulated sugar, butter, vamilla, peanut butter, milk, and eggs and beat with an electric mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

They are heavenly. And today all 7 neighborhood kids gave them the seal of approval.

This morning I made some whole wheat molasses bread. It was supposed to be whole wheat honey bread, but midway through the recipe I realized I was out of honey. I threw in some molasses and it made the bread soft, not too sweet, and very hearty. It will be great with some peanut butter and strawberry jam and a cold glass of milk.

And can I just say that I love baking non-bread machine bread. There is something imensely satisfying about kneading dough.

Anyways besides baking I've spent my afternoon working on a Rainbow Brite inspired crocheted scarf, finished Germinal, and entertained/ listened to Hope and her giggly friends having a good time.

Right now, I'm off to grab some movies from the 'brary and then it is time to cook dinner.

Night, bitches!

3 comments:

sojourness said...

Are you on Ravelry? I want a peek at this scarf :)

Glad you're feeling better.

Andi said...

Better Than Zoloft Cookies. Hot damn, that's exactly what I need! With a glass (two? four? ok, a botle) of wine!

All your tiger are belong to us. said...

OVEN BAKED COOKIES
HARUKI MURAKAMI
BEGIN HAPPINESS