I'll be participating in Peril the First, which is to read four books. I'll also try to read at least 2 short story collections in addition to the fiction. As usual, I've created a pool of books to choose from; first of all the ones already at home:
- The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone (library book, in progress)
- Masterpieces of Mystery and Deception by Agatha Christie (library book)
- The Alienist by Caleb Carr
- The Black Robe by Wilkie Collins (interlibrary loan, not here yet)
- Another short story collection that I haven't decided on yet!
I wanted a bigger pool of choices, so I was off to the library with goal of picking out 5 more books. I spent well over an hour scanning the shelves and muttering "something creepy something creepy something creepy". I found many other books I wanted to check out, but I resisted. Here are the five books I came away with:
- The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
- Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss
- The Glass of Time by Michael Cox
- The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark
Okay! I'm already to have the bejabbers (and maybe a baby) scared out of me!