Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm an Aunt!



First, a family update.  After blogging last Thursday about my sister being in labor with my niece, my anxiety for her increased.  She was having some complications and I really felt I needed to be there.  Shannon, the co-parent, had a fabulous idea:  Sam would stay with Hope and she would take care of the baby at a hotel while I helped my sister.  We left my house around 10:30 and I arrived at the hospital shortly after midnight.  Atticus and Shannon went to the hotel.  Armed with Breastimus Prime (my breast pump) and a suitcase of bottled water I spent my the entire night at the hospital helping Becky.

I was very disappointed in the hospital, the staff, and the care (or lack thereof) they gave my sister, but I'll hold my tongue on that.  At 9:49am on 03/11/11 my beautiful niece, Evelyn Rose, was born via emergency c-section.  Even though Evie was a few weeks early, she was a whopping 9lbs, 12 oz.  I was so excited to hold my little niece and I can't wait to spoil her to pieces.

Next topic -- why I haven't blogged much lately.  I alluded my shut mouth in my last post.  Sam and I were desperately trying to figure out a way for me to be a stay-at-home mom.  We budgeted, we analyzed, I figured in part-time jobs (babysitting, baking, tutoring) and it won't work.  It would work if we never had any major emergencies and I'm not comfortable with that.  Also I would be giving up health and dental insurance, 16.5 paid vacation days a year, at least three full weeks of paid holiday time, accumulating paid sick time and a flexible work environment.  Not to mention the university I work at gave me three months PAID maternity leave.  I can't beat the work conditions.

I didn't want to say anything on the blogosphere until we made a decision.  I'm at peace with the decision.  I talked to Sam about some of my concerns about working and having a baby.  Namely, when I get home from work I try to cram in playing with kids, gardening, cooking dinner, laundry, cleaning, bath times and bedtime routines in a four-hour window.  I told him I need more help and -- because he is super awesome -- he has really pitched in.  We made a daily schedule with everyone (including Hope) helping with taking care of the baby and chores.  The house is neat, the clothes are clean, the baby is happy, and we haven't gone out to eat all week.

Now if I could carve out a little more blog time all will be right ;).

 

4 comments:

Erin said...

First, congrats Auntie Amandie :-)
Second, I am so happy with your decision. Not just because it keeps you physically closer to me for more hours of the day. (Yes, that's a sentence fragment. It's the Internet. Deal with it). But, I really think it's best for your family. I know our employer may not be known for throwing money the minions' way, but when it comes to benefits and flexibility, as you mention, it really can't be beat. Providing stability is an excellent form of love. I know, and I'm sure you do too, how it feels to be a child worried about telling your parent you are sick because you don't want to cause monetary worry. We owe it to our kids to give them a slightly better experience. (Just slightly better. No spoilage!) You are clearly committed to providing a stable existence while also being an involved mother and wife. All around, good job!

Catherine said...

i think erin summed it up. and honestly, as much as i enjoy being in college, and would love to be home with the kidlet for a little longer, i am super jealous of the stability your job affords you. so no guilt (if it's there, lingering anywhere) because you're offering hope and atticus something that truly cannot be beat by anything else. a stable, loving home life. good job momma.

nerdybookgirl said...

Awwww... thanks for the support, ladies. I feel all loved and junk....

Andi said...

I've been dealing with some of these want-to-stay-home issues as well, and with Chuck a full-time student, there's definitely no way in hell. I work three jobs as it is, and we would sink without that income. I desperately need some time for myself, but then I just feel guilty for wanting some "me" time when I have so little Greyson time. Such at the downfalls of being a do-it-all mom. I'm glad y'all have worked out a schedule that's working. I'll be thinking of you!