Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Readerly Rambles: 10/19/2011



What I've finished:
  • In this House of Brede by Rumer Godden:  I inhaled this book about a group of nuns.  I'm one of those agnostic types with a protestant background who is inexplicably fascinated by Catholicism.  I enjoyed learning about the life of a nun, but I most enjoyed the different characters in the book and how they each met with different challenges (personal and related to their convent).  This is my first Rumer Godden book and I'll definitely be reading her again.   This book was for the TBR challenge.
  • Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon:  This book was such fun!  Lady Audley has a secret -- which the reader will discover soon after beginning the book -- and that secret threatens to destroy her current wealth and position she's obtained by marriage.  Of course she will stop at nothing to ensure her status and everyone is shocked at her evil insanity because she is such a blonde, pretty, angelic creature.  Oh Victorians, how horrific when the Angel in the House proves to be nefarious! This Victorian sensational novel was for Carl's RIP challenge.
  • The Bad Seed by William March:  I picked this book up for Carl's RIP challenge because I love the campy film version.  Oh WOW, the book is far darker, violent, and terrifying.  Little Rhoda is bat shit crazy and one evil little sociopath.  It was weird/interesting that I read this right after Lady Audley's Secret.  Both books address society's views on beauty and innocence and deal with themes of maternal hereditary insanity.  If I were in grad school I'd probably write a paper about the two novels.  But I'm not.  So I won't. (sticks out tongue)
What I'm Reading:
  • Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman: this is a group read over at Carl's blog.  I'm enjoying this collection and you can read more about it here, here, here and here.  
  • Clermont by Regina Maria Roche:  Oh my goodness this is a fun one!  A classic Gothic novel, this book stars one dim witted, overly good, heroine who is either trembling with emotion, quivering with fright, blanching with fear, or crimsoning with modestly.  There are gobs of "hithers" and "whilsts" and flowery speeches.  I must say I'm loving it and I feel all Catherine Morland when I'm reading it.  This book is for The Classics Circuit.   
What's Up Next:

It it mother-effin' Readathon time!  (throws confetti).  I have my stack of Readathon books below and Sam is watching the babies so I can read my eyeballs out.  I can't wait to nerd-out with all of you on participants on Saturday, October 22nd at 8 a.m.


Recent Purchases:  
Happy Reading!

No comments: