Sunday, October 24, 2010

Maternity leave begins.... with a Library Loot



I'm officially on maternity leave from work even though Atticus hasn't graced us with his presence.  Last week I had a disheartening experience with the midwife I saw.  My usual midwife wasn't there and I had to see someone else.  Since Atticus is predicted to be large (current estimate is 9 lbs, 3 oz at 37 weeks) the MIDWIFE was insistent I get a c-section.  I refused to jump straight to a c-section and I've chosen to have a "trial of labor."

I saw my favorite midwife this week, Jack.  Yes, Jack is a man and the absolute best midwife EVER.  His recommendations seemed to vibe well with Ina May Gaskin's beliefs on childbirth; Jack is recommending that I:

  • take evening primrose oil to help my cervix efface more

  • drink a minimum of one gallon of water a day

  • walk and exercise everyday

  • cease working

  • stay happy and positive and surround myself with loving and protective people


The theory behind all of these recommendations is that for me to have Atticus without a c-section I'm most likely going to have a long and physically active labor.  For example, Jack said I will need to be moving throughout labor:  using the birthing ball, squatting, and lunging.    When I deliver, I will need to push squatting or on all fours.  Needless to say, I need to both rest and stay active.  Jack thinks that Atticus will most certainly be here prior to November 5th, but I have a feeling he isn't going to pop out right away.

This means that this upcoming week, while Sam is at work and Hope is at school, I will be home by myself....waiting.  Of course I'll be napping, walking, and drinking tons of water, but what am I going to do with the rest of the time.  There are few cleaning projects on my list, laundry, and the odd stitching project or two, but I thought the best way to truly prepare for a week of mostly solitude is with a trip to the library.  Yesterday I had a date day with Sam that began with a library trip and ended with a movie night.  Behold, my spoils from the library trip:



  • The Professor by Charlotte Bronte

  • The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins

  • Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

  • The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers

  • Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris

  • The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

  • The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl

  • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (audiobook)

  • Monty Python's Flying Circus, volumes 1 and 2


I have gobs of reading choices and I'm more than ready to indulge in some reading.  After all, if the goal is to keep me peaceful and happy then reading will certainly fit the bill!

4 comments:

catherine said...

go you! i'm hoping that you get the labor experience you are pushing for, and how awesome is your midwife? so awesome!

also, figured you would appreciate this, in light of your library loot, but i'm signing up for a detective fiction class next semester. woo hoo!

Mystica said...

It makes me in awe of you that you are willing to go through this. I am happy that you are happy.

The reading list is terrific. You have some stellar books in there. Agatha Christie is such a favourite.

Katie said...

Happy reading and relaxing! Maybe it will [somewhat] distract you from the waiting. I hope things go well in the delivery room, and keep us posted.

Andi said...

That was one of the most frustrating parts of Greyson's birth: being stuck to the friggin' table with a heart monitor on. Seriously a downer. I wanted SO BADLY to be up walking, moving, pacing, squatting. Anything but lying down. I wish a very active labor for you. It feels much better than the alternative.